Announcement

Collapse

We Have Moved!

Please create an account using the same forum name here: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com. Post in this thread to get your member status restored: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com/t/...-stuff/616/872,
See more
See less

Ranged build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranged build

is there any ranged builds that will work up through end game content basck when I played a lot the heavy repeater builds were all the rage but now I am not Shure I have a new lv 5 ranger/fighter/rogue half elf 32 point build I just made last time in was playing a lot he is using a bow but he seems rather fragile I tried to solo isle of whatever and got my ass handed to me a lot was very frustrating
    sigpicWinterhawk
    Time is a thief that knows no locks
    Those who risk....Win
    each day is a gift not a given right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlAVKR6_wQ0

Re: Ranged build

arcane archers are overpowered if thats a "build", i've also seen repeater rogues dominate kill counts in many quests

solo you need some self healing and backstab damage wont work, hirelings help soloing, pocket clerics make everything so easy
    The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be
    imposed on him.

Comment

http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/sho...t=#post1344134 a year old but some good stuff

Comment

Right now ranged builds have the highest DPS Bursts in the game. When the Epic Destiny Fury is combined with Bow Strength and Manyshot you can hit for tens of thousands of points of damage within a very short period of time. If you can add PRR and survivability to your toon, you can have a toon to enjoy. The basics currently are to combine 1 Level of Ranger (bow strength) with two levels of Monk (Evasion and two feats) with pretty much anything else in game. You can get the bow strength other ways, but it takes up some feats to get it. Other popular ways are to take the bow strength the more intensive feat way and go with 2 monk for the feats and evasion and then take the 2 levels of Paladin for Saves. If you cant get your saves high enough then your evasion doesn't really matter in in-game. The most popular right now are: 16 Arty/2 Pally/2 Monk, 16 Arty/2 Ranger/2 Monk, 16 Monk/2 Ranger/2 Paladin, 17 Fvs/2 Paladin/1Ranger, 17 Cleric/2 Paladin/1 Ranger, 12 Monk/6 rogue/2 Ranger, 16 FVS/2 Monk/2 Pally, and the list goes on and on.

Be careful of Healer crossbreeds, when you join groups people will expect you to heal them, so be prepared to do so.

Here is what I've been building:

Pyrene, the End Game Paladin: 15 Paladin / 3 Monk / 2 Ranger

*IMPORTANT NOTES*
        1. After testing, I changed the build to 15 Paladin / 3 Ranger / 2 monk and the build stays mainly in Defender of Siberis with Legendary Dreadnought.
        2. I made a second change which only applies to players having the completionist feat available, and I am playing a 14 paladin / 4 ranger / 2 monk which has +4 damage & saves over the 15/3/2 split.
        3. First video of the build at level 20: here
        4. I reach level 25, here are some screenshots

5. Videos coming soon!

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WQRWarPJI (Presentation of the build at Level 20)
        Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmBQzAU1Xo (EEDA Solo in 30 min with no pots/consumables - Fastest completion!)

BACKGROUND
        As someone who plays one character, I find myself getting bored of a build once I have acquired all the gear pieces relevant to the build and know how to play the build to perfection.
        Consequently, I often find myself dreaming about what my next life could be. I like to try new things.
        My last couple of lives have followed the theme of having the "ranged" option, either with a completely ranged character, such as the Sithali build, or simply by having Manyshot.

To understand the build and the concept behind it, it is important to know that as DDO evolves, saves, defenses, self-healing & burst DPS gained a lot in importance.
        These are some of the reasons that have contributed to popularize builds such as AAs, Shiradi Casters and the Juggernaut.

My first capped toon was a WF Paladin inspired by Ultimega (the name may be familiar to some Khyber folks). I enjoyed this toon a lot, and with the nerf of Zeal, I didn't really have a reason to revisit the Paladin Class. Until now.

Contrary to popular belief, paladins have gained a lot in power (Being able to Dual-Boost with Haste boost twisted, 2 extra feats on a feat-starved class, Great Synergy with the Fury of the Wild Destiny). Their DPS is lower than some other classes but with their saves, self healing and utility (Ability to Off-tank, very high UMD...), they are nearly impossible to kill.

PROS vs CONS (in no particular order)• + High Saves
        • + Great instantaneous self healing, and out of combat healing
        • + High DPS Paladin
        • + High Burst DPS w/ Manyshot & Dual Boosts
        • + High healing amplification
        • + Decent PRR
        • + Benefits a lot from Completionist and great gear as they have several main stats
        • + Evasion
        • + Sprint Boost
        • + Very self sufficient: makes a great soloer
        • + Synergy with the Fury of the Wild Destiny
        • + Complex to play (less boring), clickie-intensive (active & thoughtfull gameplay), not an easy button like Shiradi Casters
        • + Versatility: 2 different destinies to play with depending on the situation, 2 combat styles (either TWF or THF)
        • + Situationally Monk Light buffs
        • - Good luck finding one

The name of the build comes from the French Mountains called "The Pyrénées". I will be playing the build in a couple of weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PYRENE, LAWFUL GOOD HUMAN: 15 PALADIN / 3 MONK / 2 RANGER

STATS* (36) All sustainable, assuming LD
        Str - 16+6(lvl)+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+8(item) +2(insight)+4(alchem)+5(primal)+2(madstone)+1(exc) = 54
        Dex - 14+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+8(item)+2(insi ght)+4(alchem)+1(exc)+1(enh)=40
        Con - 16+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+(8item)+2(insi ght)+4(alchem)+5(primal)+1(exc)+4(madstone)= [b]50/b]
        Int - 8+4(tome)+2(Compl)+2(ship)+1(exc)=17
        Wis - 8+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+7(item)+2(Insig ht)+1(exc)= 28
        Cha - 16+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+8(item)+3(insi ght)+2(enh.)+1(exc) = 40

*: Adjust stats according to tomes available to you. Keep in mind 18 base charisma is needed for Divine Might III, 23 base Str for Overwhelming critical and 17 base Dex for Manyshot.

LEVELING ORDER & FEATS
        1. M: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Power Attack
        2. M: Toughness (Evasion)
        3. R: Cleave, FE: Giants (Bow Strength)
        4. R: (Rapid Shot)
        5. P
        6. P: Great Cleave, (Divine Grace)
        7-8. P
        9. P: Quicken
        10-11. P
        12. P: Manyshot
        13-14. P
        15. P: Improved Critical: Slashing
        16-17. P
        18. P: Improved Critical: Ranged
        19. P
        20. M: Light Path
        21-25. Overwhelming Critical, Completionist/Empower Healing

# Legendary Dreadnought is used most of the time
        Twists w/ Legendary
        3. Sense Weakness (Tier 4 LD)
        2. Brace for Impact (Tier 1 Unyielding Sentinel)
        1. Primal Scream / Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Fury / Primal Avatar)

# Fury of the Wild is used for raids or when there is already someone blitzing in the group
        Twists w/ Fury of the Wild
        3. Haste Boost (Tier 3 LD)
        2. Brace for Impact (Tier 1 Unyielding Sentinel)
        1. Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Primal Avatar)

ENHANCEMENTS•HUMAN Charisma I (2), Improved Recovery II (6), Human Versatility IV (10), Racial Toughness II (3),
        •RANGER Ranger Sprint boost I (1), Favored Damage I (1), Dexterity I (2)
        •MONK Patient Tortoise I (1), Improved Recovery I (2)
        •PALADIN Resistance of Good II (3), Divine Righteousness I (1), Divine Sacrifice II (3), Exalted Smite III (6), Extra Lay on Hands II (3), Extra Smite Evil IV (10), Hunter of the Dead II (3), Devotion II (3), Charisma I (2), Toughness II (3), Divine Might III (6), Improved Turning II (3), Extra Turning II (3)

SPELLS• Level 1: (3) Protection from Evil, Divine Favor, Virtue
        • Level 2: (2) Resist Energy, Cure Light Wounds
        • Level 3: (2) Cure Moderate Wounds, Prayer
        • Level 4: (2) Cure Serious Wounds, Zeal

SKILLS
        Max UMD (***)
        Concentration (**)
        Balance (**)
        Spot (*)
        Put 1 point in Tumble at start

SAVES
        F-15+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+20(stat)+4 (insight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 71
        R-11+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+15(stat)+1 (haste)+4(insight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 63 + Evasion
        W-8+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+9(stat)+4(i nsight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 53
        *Considering the save check is in the low 60's for EEGH (61-63 from my experience), you will never fail a save with 71/63/53. Reflex save being the most important as most will-save based spells you can protect yourself from.

HIT POINTS
        20 base
        +10 Favor
        +50 Epic levels
        +190 class
        +400 con
        +35 GFL
        +20 toughness item
        +27 toughness feat
        +40 toughness enh.
        +20 barb pl
        +50 LD levels
        +5 tortoise
        +45 shroud
        +20 yugo
        =932 HP sustainable (982 HP in Fury).

Enough when you never fail a save and you have evasion.

PRR
        10 base
        + 14 slotted
        + 15 planar
        = 39 in LD (45 w/ Fury)

Healing Amplification

There have been some super-high healing amplification paladin builds in the past, but honestly, besides seeing good numbers and being self sufficient, they didn't bring much to the table.
        The Pyrene has some great healing amp. but doesn't push it to the point you sacrifice gear slots and DPS to see cool numbers pop up.

1.05 Pally PL
        1.1 ship
        1.1 HotD 1
        1.1 HotD 2
        1.1 enh.
        1.2 enh.
        1.3 bracers
        = 240% Healing Amp.

GEAR

Helm: EE Black Dragon Helm w/ 8 con (Yellow, Green)
        Goggles: EE Intricate Field Optics w/ 3 insight. cha (Yellow, Green)
        Necklace: Pendant of the Stormreaver (Yellow)
        Armor: Black Dragon Robe (Blue)
        Trinket: Planar focus of Prowess w/ 8 str
        Cloak: EE Jeweled Cloak (Yellow, Green)
        Belt: +45 HP Belt
        Ring1: Ring of Deceit (Yellow, Colorless)
        Ring2: Ring of the Stalker (Yellow, colorless)
        Boots: Halcyon Boots (Yellow, colorless)
        Gloves: Gauntlets of Immortality (Yellow, Colorless)
        Bracers: Greater Convalescent bracers of superior parrying
        Quiver: EE Quiver of Poison

Weapon: • Tier 4 Cleaver Hewer of Suffering w/ Good/Elemental Damage
        • Tier 4 Pinion, Cloud-Piercer w/Red slot: +1d10 Ice damage
        • Various DR Breakers: ESOS, EAGA

Note: The gear setup can be really changed according to what you have available. Ex: EE Treads of Falling Shadows, EE Nether Grasps (and putting 114 devotion on the Cleaver), Adamantine Cloak of the wolf

SOME POSSIBLE QUESTIONS

#1. Why Empower Healing vs another feat such as Maximize or Stunning blow? While there are a lot of clickies allowing the use of the Maximize feat at no extra spell cost, Rejuvenation Cocoon only works with Empower Healing. Stunning blow is irrelevant for current endgame as it is difficult to make it work on non monks/fighters/barbarians, especially due to stat repartition for paladins.
        #2. Why no intimidate? It is not very important to have because a simple manyshot will instantly give you the aggro. Your solid melee DPS combined with Divine Righteousness will be enough to keep aggro. Only EELOB requires a specialized tank at this point of the game, and with this build you can be the tank in any raid.
        #3. Why no investment in AC? 1. You cannot have evasion if you wear heavy armor. 2. Using Robes saves a significant amount of time when switching situationnally or for clickies. 3. It simply doesn't work well in EE.
        #4. Why Cleaver over Esos? LD offers an additional crit multiplier to the cleaver. 15 PRR is also incredibly important. You may not see it now; So either trust me or go in EEDA solo and we will understand each other
        #5. Why THF over TWF? TWF also works pretty well on this build (since with THF>TWF nowadays, paladins is the most viable class for TWF) - Replace Quicken+Maximize for ITWF+GTWF. Drop IC:Ranged for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh. If going for the Deathnips route, drop Ic:Slashing for Ic:Piercing.
        Some people spend their lives waiting for a better day. Some people make their days better. I don't have time to wait......
        Not Happy? Get up! Do something!

Comment

Been away for a long time so might be using outdated info so unless things changed dramatically then I would say, if we're talking powergamer uses, then would say do a 10k star build that requires at least 6 monk. Had a lvl 20 ranger then reincarnated into a 12 monk/6 ranger/2 fighter and the difference was astronomical. This is if you're going all out ranged.

6 Monk nets you 10k stars that is a 2nd manyshot in a lesser for that additional hits like double strike can occur based on your Wis. I've has 2 hits, 3 hits, 4 hits, even the rare 5 hits even I think. It is very highly consistent and most times I always get a proc. 12 Monk nets you an additional +1 Crit multiplier on 19-20 rolls which is the bow threat range with imp crit. And higher stunning fist DC. AC is great since a Monkcher is a Wis based build that compliments AC and stunning fist DCs. Along with all the other monk goodies. 10k Stars is up 50% of the time and the rotation is like this Mantshot/10k/regular pewpew/10k rinse and repeat, this is a 2 min rotation with each phase lasting 30 sec. During the 30 sec regular pew pew melee is done for ki generation if needed. Ninja Spy II paired with the Rogue HElf dilly grants you 6d6 sneak attack which one can easily utilize via stunning first which you can easily use in any content with some gear and ED. Probably even in Epic Elite content but then you are likey gonna have a CC with you anyhow.

12 Monk/6 Ranger/ 2 Fighter is a popular Monkcher build where one uses the pally's past life feat for a divine favor ability. Another popular one is 12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Arti where being a trap monkey is brought to the table along with UMD usage.

If you're wanting to range 100% of the time then I only see a Monkcher being the only viable build as all others are gimped due to the simlple fact that 10k stars is incredibely powerful.

One thing of note is that a lot of feats/enhancements that are suppose to increase the weapon die of bows does not work. Combat Archery, Improved Martial Arts, A Dance of Flowers all don't work which is a total loss of 3-3.5[W].

You would have to reroll but ever since I rerolled my Ranger AA into a Monkcher I never regretted it and won't consider any ranged dps build without 10k stars.
          Last edited by saco; 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM.
          DDO
          Milliska - Moncher: 12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Fighter
          Milliskia - DWS: 20 Ranger
          Ambrros - TWF: 15 Paladin/2 Fighter
          Kalthean - THF: 15 Paladin/2 Fighter

Comment

with these builds are they soloable I tend to play at odd times and solo a lot what about being able to melee at times i like to mix it up a bit and I will not be a healer I am terriable at it
            sigpicWinterhawk
            Those who risk....Win

Comment

I had zero issues with survivability and would say that it's great surviveability. As a HElf you can always go with the Cleric or Favored Soul Dillie to enable healing scrolls usage and likely be able to use heal scrolls easily with UMD investment I would imagine.

I'm able to stand still and take a beating unlike my Ranger experience where I'm always kiting to stay alive of course that was my 1st toon experience. And I'm able to use a stunning fist if mobs are beating on me, an asset that I don't think I can ever give up.
              DDO

Comment

ok got the monk to lv 2 last night so I take it these builds use bows correct and not heavy repeaters ,when do you go from hand wraps to weapons lv 3 ??? when u add in ranger
                sigpicWinterhawk
                Those who risk....Win

Comment

Here is a link to an AA/10K Stars build I posted using the 12 monk/6 ranger/2 fighter split...

http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/sho...=1#post1440026

Comment

hitting lv 3 so monk or ranger????? or arty, finally picked up a +2 bow so I am mowing them down and switching to wraps when they reach me I still am on the island mashing through the quest on a exp grind.
                    sigpicWinterhawk
                    Those who risk....Win

Comment

If you are following the Pyrene build.
                      LEVELING ORDER & FEATS
                      1. M: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Power Attack
                      2. M: Toughness (Evasion)
                      3. R: Cleave, FE: Giants (Bow Strength)
                      4. R: (Rapid Shot)
                      5. P
                      6. P: Great Cleave, (Divine Grace)
                      7-8. P
                      9. P: Quicken
                      10-11. P
                      12. P: Manyshot
                      13-14. P
                      15. P: Improved Critical: Slashing
                      16-17. P
                      18. P: Improved Critical: Ranged
                      19. P
                      20. M: Light Path
                      21-25. Overwhelming Critical, Empower Healing
                      Some people spend their lives waiting for a better day. Some people make their days better. I don't have time to wait......

Comment

Ps. I would be using a Great Axe until you get many shot.

Then for me, I use my Bow when manyshot is up and my axe when not.

Comment

what about stances I am currently in the archer focus stance but i see a lot of melee damage when in sun stance when i swich back to handwraps
                          sigpicWinterhawk
                          Those who risk....Win

Comment

ok closing in on lv 4 just 2 more bubbles and I am spamming osgoods on hard over and over again sigh getting some nice loot now what I want to know id when I hit lv 4 with that monk feat i was thinking about heavy repeater I see you have rapid shot.
                            sigpicWinterhawk
                            Those who risk....Win

Comment

Heavy repeater? I don't think they are worth it since you need a feat, str does not apply to dmg. Never seen or heard being used without either being an arty or rogue mechanic I believe. Moncher builds that I've seen I believe that incorporate it always have arty levels.

As for monk stances Earth is what I use but only if you take 12 levels of monk. Air is melee or shuriken/thrown bonus. Fire does what... ki effects? Which bows do not generate ki even though they can be a ki weapon when feated, no ideal if it's WAI or bugged like so many ranged feats. Water adds some Wis which is your primary stat, Madhatter posted on the old forums that for every modifier point in Wis equates to a 5% dps increase with the dodge as an added affect. Earth with 12 levels of monk increases your crit modifier on bows be an extra x1, this only applies to 19-20 rolls and does not apply to 17-18 crit rolls if you have a bow with an extended crit range.

So in short for monk stance is earth that gives PRR and and extra +1 to your crit modifier for 19-20 crits vs water that gives you added dodge and wis modifier that increases both AC and added DPS for your 10k stars that are dependent upon you Wis modifier. But again this is with 12 levels of monk which if your going for a moncher pure ranged build then I would say that is the best option.

Who knows how things will change with the new enhancements though. Believe that they remain the same. Maybe Air stance double strike might affect bow since they are granting bows and double strike equivalent but not gonna hold my breath on since bows always seem to get the shitty end of the stick when it comes to properly functioning feats and items.
                              DDO

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 07:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
                              X