Announcement

Collapse

We Have Moved!

Please create an account using the same forum name here: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com. Post in this thread to get your member status restored: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com/t/...-stuff/616/872,
See more
See less

Ranged build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ranged build

Something else to consider with the new enhancements is an elven archer. Im not quite sure what class to take but pure kensai fighter could be interesting. Your tohit for bows is a Dex stat and elves can take an enhancement that allows them to use Dex for Damage. So you can pretty much Max Dex for everything you need. Ranger would provide more self healing and survivability as well as would Favored Soul, Cleric, Paladin, or Monk. Ranger or Rogue would probably provide the most DPS. Monk is currently bugged so that it reverts to Str for to hit instead of Dex for some ranged attacks.
    Some people spend their lives waiting for a better day. Some people make their days better. I don't have time to wait......
    Not Happy? Get up! Do something!

Comment

I never did a Moncher as a 1st lifer but people say on the forums that it should be a 34 or 36 point build. Yes B-Swords will be str dmg, all weapons are str dmg dependent with exception to crossbows and repeaters. Some classes can change that.

As a pure ranger you can be somewhat self sufficient. Get devotion items w/ healing lore and you can always cast healing on yourself. This will suffice for hard and below if you know the quest and adequately prepared. DWS can boost your positive energy.... a lot which is your healing stat. But really just get a pocker healer hireling though if healing is an issue.

As a 1st lifer you can go pure ranger. There are two trees for archery and one for TWF. I actually on my full ranger doing a deep DWS and some investment into the Tempest tree and taking advantage of dex stat for dmg that way I can range from afar and when they get close I swap to melee plus it adds survivability. The Tempus can allow you to use your dex for your dmg modifier for scimitars if you are gonna get the elf dex dmg modifier for bows which that elf ability will apply to longswords and rapiers which rapiers are one of the top 1h weapons due to their crit range. Scimitars and Rapiers have greater than normal crit ranges (18-20) which makes em a highly values weapon compared to other 1h weapons. But really any weapon will be fine, scimitars are just the iconic weapon for rangers so there is some added benefit for using one. You'll be a lot more versatile if you get some melee enhancements in with your archer. That way you can play around with both playstyles.

Bow of Sinew might be what you want to hunt after. Equivalent to the Silver Longbow but it a lvl 14 item and might even be superior to it not to mention its a good DR breaker. I think it has the increased crit range like the Silver Longbow which is pretty much the reason for it's use. Think you have to complete the Harbringer of Madness chain I believe and have the option to select it as an chain end reward. Here is a list of all named bows you can sort through.

A lot of complex builds require one to gather a bunch of gear and then TR which is what the 10k Moncher is. DDO is unique as it has the most robust char build system that no MMO can touch on. The problem is that DDO is the most grindsome and time consuming. Other MMOs is just a simple run to max lvl n then grind for gear. DDO is all bout rerolling via TRing to better your toon.

As far as cannith crafting goes... just do everything on a single toon. Also there is a cheap way to lvl via flasks from the Fee Agent patron that you need a certain favor with em first. Think it's using these flasks and creating potential shards. But Cannith Crafting is outdated now. And Turbine has no immediate plans to update it. It does have it's uses but it is incredibely grindy and items will be bound to your char. Better off selling the loot you get and buying what you need. You can also ask in the guild, there is a market section here.
      DDO
      Milliska - Moncher: 12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Fighter
      Milliskia - DWS: 20 Ranger
      Ambrros - TWF: 15 Paladin/2 Fighter
      Kalthean - THF: 15 Paladin/2 Fighter

Comment

what if I went 2 monk/2 fighter and 16 ranger with percing weapons I wouldent need to burn a feat on the bswords and can save them for when I make the tr or another toon I can go elf or half elf would that give me the extra feats and the dex damage modifier
        sigpicWinterhawk
        Time is a thief that knows no locks
        Those who risk....Win
        each day is a gift not a given right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlAVKR6_wQ0

Comment

Bastard Swords are mostly for flavor sadly. The uniqueness comes from being a sword and board then you can do glancing blows I think. I would say either go scimitar or spend a feat and go khoplesh which are the best DPS melee weapon for TWFers. Only elf can give you that dex dmg modifier for bows and not half-elf. And if you do go the Elf tree route that changes the dmg modifier for bows to dex, it will also apply to longswords and rapiers along with the +4 dmg and to hit that are prereqs. It's two grps, Longbows, longswords, and rapiers or shortbows, scimitars and falchion I believe are the two grps you have to chose from. You can always feat for Weapon Finese and use rapiers to take advatage of the +4 dmg and to-hit since rapiers are grouped with longbows.

Why a 2monk/2 fighter/16 ranger? Can you explain what you want with your first life?
          DDO

Comment

well for the feats if I go elf I start off gimped so was thinking that if it was a dex build I could burn a feat on the khoplesh abd I found that the heavy repeater xbows are dex based modifiers I have all these weapons that I collected back in the day and just was wanting to use them I can leave the bswords for my cleric fighter and another char I have that is sword and board plus I like the evasion from the monk and with the fighter the kensei
            sigpicWinterhawk
            Those who risk....Win

Comment

Unfortunately you must select Dex for Damage for either Ranged or Melee as an Elf Enhancement. So if you wanted a Ranged only Dex build Elf is the way to go. Khopeshes for Dex , im not sure of.
              Some people spend their lives waiting for a better day. Some people make their days better. I don't have time to wait......
              Not Happy? Get up! Do something!

Comment

Are you sure about the repeater dmg? The only damage modifier that I know is the insightful Damage that is a lvl 3 Arti spell which allow Int to be used as a dmg modifier. Initially all ranged weapons don't have dmg modifiers that you either need to feat (bow strength) or insightful dmg spell. Only thrown weapons have a stat allowed to modify dmg without any feat or spell.

And the Elf tree dex modifier applies to certain weapons and a specific bow, it's categorized by two groups you choose from. From Wiki

Grace: You may use Dexterity to damage with your chosen set of weapons. Choose one:
                • Aerenal Grace: You may use Dexterity to determine the damage you deal with Longswords, Rapiers, and Longbows.
                • Valenar Grace: You may use Dexterity to determine the damage you deal with Scimitars, Falchions, and Shortbows.

But if your in tempest tree and decide to get the tier 3 core enhancement you get the dex dmg to scimitars also along with any weapon that is considered light.

Monk might be a waste as rangers also get evasion but at lvl 9. If feats is what you want then stick with fighter levels as you'll get more but you should have more than plently of feats.

A rough breakdown is of feats would be this and you still have an blank feat to take. And that is with emp healing and magical training which depending on your style might not be mandatory. You still have can get dodge in and then give up something like magical training or emp healing for mobility which I am considering for the improved mobility enhancements to up my max dex bonus to armor and upping my dodge cap.

Level 1 Point Blank Shot
                Level 3 Power Attack (Or Precision)
                Level 6 Emp Healing
                Level 9 Imp Crit Ranged
                Level 12 Imp Crit Slashing
                Level 15 Mental Toughness
                Level 18
                Level 21 Combat Archery

Granted you can always focus on str and bypass the elf tree all together. You should hit everything ridiculously easy unless your walking into some epic elite content. Epic Elite is when minmax builds come into play.
                DDO

Comment

I had an old ranger rogue fighter that I was playing around with last night and the AA tree does not have any enhanscements for the repeater neither does the rogue they are for a regular xbows no repeater so to me that makes the repeater almost worthless I don't know about the arti I still haven't opened the class yet .
                  I spent a lot of time reading the different descriptions in the trees for rogue /ranger/fighter and you can make one hell of a nice melee char with nice ranged ability's I need to swap out the repeater for another feat I don't have dodge for some reason and it is necessary for some stuff to work.

mithrial med armor reads as a light and has much better stats, in the fighter warrior tree there are some enhancements that lower your Dex penalty. if you stick to the armors and weapons that the enhancement works best with I think you can build a very nice char it just takes a lot of reading feel like I am in school and my build is a term paper.

I would like to thank you again for all the help the trees have changed all the builds that people made before the patch and with the ability to mix and match trees will become the driving force for all the future builds.
                  sigpicWinterhawk
                  Those who risk....Win

Comment

The mechanic rogue does have a tier 2 core ability, or tier 3 if you count the initial core enhancement tier one whichever requires the lvl 6 rogue, does allow int to be a dmg modifier for crossbows. You also get proficiency with light repeats. I'm assuming that all crossbows means repeaters also, the text matches that of insightful damage. I never played an arty and am racist against all crossbows but maybe someone who has played it can comment if you int modifier can modify your repeated dmg. If so you can also always scroll for insightful dmg which has a 42 UMD which I think would be fairly easy for a rogue to obtain.
                    DDO

Comment

you mean target sights its is a 10 point lv 6 enh I think that is to much to put in this build I do like the traps offered and the bonus in awarness and mechanicsthe wand and scroll mastery is nice as well in the assassin tree the poison strikes look interesting venomed blades is another I would look at.
                      in the kenset tree I was wondering what you got from ascetic training got you .
                      sigpicWinterhawk
                      Those who risk....Win

Comment

so there is a bug with the drow I was thinking drow but it dosnt look like that is a option till the bug is fixed
                        sigpicWinterhawk
                        Those who risk....Win

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 07:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
                        X