Announcement

Collapse

We Have Moved!

Please create an account using the same forum name here: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com. Post in this thread to get your member status restored: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com/t/...-stuff/616/872,
See more
See less

With the sale beginning on May 16 I'm thinking of trying out FFXIV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the sale beginning on May 16 I'm thinking of trying out FFXIV

Since the game (including all expansions as nearly as I can tell) is going on sale for $10 beginning on May 16 (http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/discount/)), thought I might throw a month at it and see if it sticks.

Any ideas for to help ease the early days?

Thanks in advance,
    lobobanco13
    sigpic
    Because gaming never gets old!

Stick to the main story quests, the ones that look like a meteor icon. You can easily get sucked into side story quests and lose track of where you are in the story. Most of the game is locked to the MSQ, including dungeons, raids, and even the expansions. Some parts of the early (up to lvl 50) quests can feel like boring filler, but it's worth it in the end!

Also, it's important to know that any rest experience you have is shared between all your jobs. You can play every role on one character, so if you should choose to level gathering or crafting, it can quickly suck away your rest bonus experience and make leveling your adventuring feel like a chore.

FFXIV - Maelya Mae | GW2- Maelya Mae
    EQ2 - Maelya Mae (and 13 others) | Retired | Wildstar - Maelya Mae (and 5 others)

Comment

After several years away, I recently returned to this game with no regrets. Lots (and I mean LOTS) of content to keep you busy for a long time. In addition to Mae's points, I would also suggest that you not worry so much about picking a class/job in the beginning since it is very easy to change to something else if you wish to follow a different path. Although you'll be starting at level one with the new job and its specific quest line, you'll keep all progress you've made on the main story and side quest lines. Of course, you'll have to re-gear according to your new class choice, but that is not really much of an issue early on. One other benefit to saving the side quests for later is that you can use them to level new jobs that you might change to later on.

Choose Primal/Excalibur for your world (server) if you wish to join your fellow OTGers, and feel free to whisper (IGN Lian Shin) if you have any questions - I'm pretty new at this as well but can probably help with the easy/early stuff.

Look forward to seeing you in the game. I'm still learning but having a blast.
      "The hard part about playing chicken is knowin' when to flinch." -- Cmdr. Bart Mancuso, USS Dallas

Comment

FYI, that sale is for final fantasy 11, not 14 (also a great game). Fear not, the free trial on final fantasy 14 has no time limit with a level cut off at 35, so you can still give the game a go with a majority of the jobs at leisure. We would definitely love to have ya in the chapter if you decide to join us.
        Cheers~

Comment

Originally posted by Buddyleviathan View Post
          FYI, that sale is for final fantasy 11, not 14 (also a great game). Fear not, the free trial on final fantasy 14 has no time limit with a level cut off at 35, so you can still give the game a go with a majority of the jobs at leisure. We would definitely love to have ya in the chapter if you decide to join us.
          Cheers~
          Yeah, I caught that after I posted. Duh!!!
          sigpic
          Because gaming never gets old!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 07:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
          X