Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

GotM July Poll

3 of 3 < >

New Forum Info

We are migrating to a new forum solution here: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com/. It is not complete yet so please bear with us as we migrate. The current forums will eventually be archived into read-only mode but will remain online. If your game's CL has told you to migrate then please create a new account on the new forums. IMPORTANT: use the same name there as you use here. If you want a name change then please request it here first before creating your new account.
See more
See less

New to Heartstone looking for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Heartstone looking for advice

So recently I decided to try Heartstone in earnest. I have never played a card game before so I'm completely new to the experience. I like it enough that I want to get better at it. I'm not looking to get uber good or nothing like that but I would still appreciated some advice. Should I focus on the classic decks or spend in the newer expansions? I won enough games to get the extra packs for "the old gods" but I have no idea what makes a viable deck yet. What advice do you think is useful for someone that has no experience with cards games and is new to this game.

Re: New to Heartstone looking for advice

-> Knife Juggler - great in decks that have lots of small minions, so it's particularly good when you're first getting started. It was just "nerfed", but pretty much just as good as it always has been.
    -> Save up to buy the single player adventures - the cards you get out of them (especially the most recent league of explorers) are very good.
    -> "Tribe" decks (i.e., dragon, murlock, etc.) are now all fairly expensive, so I would stay away from those as a new player. If you really like lots of minions, check out the current flavors of warlock zoo decks.
    -> Don't focus too much on big guys / legendaries - they're frequently good, but can make your deck very heavy. C'thun decks can be fun right now, though :).
    -> In almost all my decks, I always try to include at least one (if not two) cards that draw other cards. Some exceptions, but card draw is generally fairly powerful in Hearthstone.
    -> Look out for deathrattle effects that spawn other minions - they're almost always good.
    -> Focus on cards that immediately impact the board, otherwise. I.e., battlecries are almost always better than 'rattles (many exceptions to this rule as you get a deeper collection of cards, but a decent rule of thumb to start with).

Happy to provide more specific advice as you narrow in on the character you want to start in with (Shaman and Hunter 'aggro' decks may be a good place to start - hearthpwn.com has a lot of details, along with the "cost" of decks).

Luna
    Such is the vastness of his genius that he can outwit even himself.

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice! It gives me some good direction to start with. I'm currently giving each toon a try and working to get all basic cards before I decided on which to focus on.

Comment

Also realize that starting out your deck options are limited so I would try to build a cheap aggro deck first
        and stick to that until you can flesh out your collection.

Hearthpwn is a good website for some with good searchable deck lists.

If you want someone to practice with just add me.

ICottonEyeJo#1592

Comment

thank you, but what do you mean by aggro deck. Like a deck with a lot of cheap minions?

Comment

yes they flood the board with cheap small minions to kill you as fast as possible

As opposed to a control deck that will try to keep the board clear and bring out their big minions at the end.

Aggro decks tend to be cheaper (dust wise) to make so most people who start out play those at first and when
            your collection fleshes out some you can start making more interesting decks.

Comment

HI! I just got my comp fixed and will play when i have time. feel free to add me as well im a bit rusty but willing to help out.

Comment

My son got me hooked on this game. I am having some fun with it..
                Currently active: EQ2. H1Z1

Comment

Send me a friend request if you want. I don't have many in game.. LOL
                  Currently active: EQ2. H1Z1

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 07:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
                  X