Announcement

Collapse

We Have Moved!

Please create an account using the same forum name here: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com. Post in this thread to get your member status restored: https://forums.oldtimersguild.com/t/...-stuff/616/872,
See more
See less

Thursday Scales of War 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with MadHermit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thursday Scales of War 8-11 PM eastern (alternating with MadHermit)

Yes, I use passive perception and investigation unless you are actively searching.
    Because he's a very very very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their disposition. But they do learn the value of company.

Comment

Here is what I'm seriously considering as my final option. If there are any concerns or objections PLEASE say so. I have some concerns and they will be detailed at the bottom. I just don't know if I'm glossing over them because I like the idea in my head.

Detective Nick Danger "Third Eye"

Nick is a member of the "Investigators Guild" which is a niche market mostly seen in larger cities. He worked for years solving cases for people in need. He eventually became regularly employed by a noble of some repute and Nick helped him a lot finding things out about his competition in higher circles as well as solving crimes to the nobles property (one very expensive burglary was solved with the public never becoming aware that it even happened). Eventually this noble used Nick's skills in a manner that was not in keeping with procedure. The noble fabricated evidence and framed someone in Nick's name. Knowing that the next step in such a maneuver was to eliminate any witnesses ie NICK!, he fled the city and vowed to eventually set things right. He was however able to swipe an item of value from the Noble's treasury before he left (a book of magic or holy relic of sorts) that he intends to scrutinize fully when he has time.

Spoiler for Build Details:
      Human (Variant) Rogue 1 with the Observant Feat (+1 Wis, Chr, Int [2 from race 1 from feat]) S:9 D:14 Co:12 I:14 W:14 Ch:14
      The character would concentrate on Perception and Investigation (Expertise) first and branch out into other skills such as Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception and Insight
      He would NOT be specialized in thieves tools (although he gets the tool skill free) and would probably serve best as a backup trapmonkey if Eddy still plays a Rogue.

After 1st level he would multi-class into either Bard-Lore, Cleric-Knowledge, Warlock or possibly Wizard-Divination... He may also do more than one of those as he progresses. Each of these followup classes brings something to the table to make him better at what he does: Finding things, solving puzzles and getting answers.

Right now I'm leaning towards Rogue 1 then Cleric 1-Knowledge (2 skills that basically get expertise from:Arcana, History, Nature, Religion) and Guidance Cantrip for MORE help making checks, then 3 levels in Bard-Lore (2 more expertise skills: Persuasion, Insight, or Deception depending on how things go and what we tend to use most). I know he wouldn't get his ability score/feat bonus until 6th level at the earliest if he stayed in Bard until 4th level or later if he switched around more, but that's OK. He ALSO wouldn't be a LOT of use in combat. He would be able to cast some cantrips for damage or maybe screw with the enemies or buff the party. So basically at level 5 he ends up with 6 skills with Expertise (+8), proficient in 7 more (+5) and the remaining 5 skills half proficient from Jack of All Trades (4 at +3 and Athletics at +0).

My primary concerns are:
      1) That he won't be that useful to the party in combat (I can probably find ways to help but it's not like the characters I have been making recently that are combat focused: Kyrie, Celebguar (Pathfinder and 5e from the other group), Nissa and Sebastian my Holy Sniper from the other group in Deadlands). But he MIGHT be useful.... a little.... I just have to figure out how to play smart.

2)Would I be stepping on toes too much by being good at basically everything skillwise?

3)How many times is he going to get killed before I make a new character? (this seems to happen a LOT to me: Celebguar from both pathfinder and 5e and I think there was another one)

4)If I choose to splash Bard which instrument should I play? (I'm thinking Violin because of Sherlock Holmes.... and if I splashed Warlock his name could change to Warlock Holmes) OK now I'm getting silly.... or sillier depending on how you have viewed this rambling mess of a post.

Feedback is appreciated!
      --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

"I'm the funniest person I know."

Comment

Well, this is D&D, so there will be lots of combat. I like the concept, but I don't think you should overly focus on just skills. If you want to do this, that is fine, but I wouldn't want you to be frustrated all the time in combat. That said, there is also a bit of roleplay, investigation and skill challenges, so I like the idea that people don't ignore skills completely.
        Because he's a very very very old man. And like all rotten bastards, when they get old, they become lonely. Not that that has any effect on their disposition. But they do learn the value of company.

Comment

I get that. I guess it come down to this: If casting a Cleric Cantrip from range for damage every round that I can't figure out something else to do is good enough for combat then it would work.

That is one of the reasons that 2nd level+ Warlock was one of my options. Warlocks are awesome at range damage but a little boring to be honest. I might explore that option a little closer to see what it looks like rather than being pure full bore skill monkey.
          --Daemoro

I was once told that if I continued along my current course that I would be ostracized. I replied "I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound pleasant for me OR the ostrich."

Comment

You could stick with the Rogue class and utilize the Sneak Attack damage to boost your combat viability. I would also say that Observant isn't necessary if you take Perception and Investigation as your Expertise skills (seems like overkill). If what you want is access to the Guidance cantrip, you could take Magic Initiate instead and work some magical training into your background story. That may mesh well with taking the Arcane Trickster archetype at level 3.

Just thoughts. I think you should absolutely avoid making a character that is largely ineffective in combat, since combat is where we spend a lot of our time while playing D&D, and if you aren't having fun then the game loses it's purpose.
            DDO Character (Ghallanda) - Heffe el Fossa

Comment

Part of the synergy with the Feat was getting the +1 Wis or Int that helped level out the odd numbered ability score and it was the only Feat that seemed to really give you something tangible in addition to the +1. Maybe Observant and Expertise to Perception and Investigation is a bit of Overkill but I kinda like having those skills be no brainers where most of the rest of the party can say.... well Nick's got that covered I can be good at something else.

The problem seems to be that Rogues are very squishy. Which to me says they almost have to be a ranged character to keep from dying. I really like the idea of a rogue archer and the problem I was having was being Human I didn't get longbow but if I chose Elf I couldn't get Sharpshooter at level 1. I could just use a shortbow since that is classified as a "simple" weapon and take the Sharpshooter feat at level 1 as a human.

I would prefer to do a Rogue/Warlock and take the spell sniper feat so I would have an excellent ranged option but I would need to take the Warlock level first to take Spell Sniper so I could stand in the back and use my Eldritch Blast effectively and then take a level in Rogue to get the Expertise. But I only get 1 skill for multi-classing into rogue so it would be taking a whole level out JUST to get expertise and one skill and the sneak attack wouldn't really help since it doesn't apply to Eldritch Blast. So at that point I might as well stay full on Warlock.... which isn't a horrible option really, it just takes me too far out of the Nick Danger Persona that I really liked the idea of so I would have to come up with a different back story.

If I go pure Rogue Archer maybe I won't infringe on Eddy's territory too much... of course I don't know what kind of Rogue he intended to make....

Let me do a run on this version of the character as as pure shortbow Rogue Archer and see what he looks like.
              --Daemoro

Comment

Oh... duh.... just realized that Level 6 Rogue gets 2 more expertise skills.... which is only 1 level later than the 1 Rogue 1 Cleric 3 Bard I worked out, plus I get all the sneak attack dice AND skill get a Feat/+2Ability Score.

That might just be the answer.
                --Daemoro

Comment

OK so if I decide to go Investigator/Ranged DPS it's the backstory above Rogue 1 Human Variant, Sharpshooter Feat (so he can shoot through the party without penalty) S:8 D:16 Co:10 I:12 W:14 Ch:14 (Int and Chr could swap but that would be +1 Investigation and low Knowledge skills BUT -1 to Persuasion, Deception and Intimidation). Primary attack will be with the shortbow obviously and melee fall back is rapier or daggers.

I like the backstory so as long as I don't need to fill another role like tank or arcane caster I will play this. I will work on the Tank and Arcane caster just in case.
                  --Daemoro

Comment

Oh my brain hurts.... it makes up such awesome characters:

Kenneth Fizzlebumps Master of the Undead! Gnome Wizard Necromancer. Dressed goth style Kenneth still acts like most Gnomes. He is happy-go-lucky and giggles at the drop of a hat (he thinks hat dropping is funny).
                    --Daemoro

Comment

I reviewed the thread and I don't think anyone has selected a paladin yet, although Daemoro did mention one in a list of about 15 other character concepts. So, if there are no objections, I will play a human paladin with the oath of devotion. I don't template my characters out until they've grown a bit, so I'm not sure how he will develop, but I will be roleplaying him as over the top paladin as possible. He will polish and shine his armor any time it gets dirty. He will wash his clothes and body religiously. He will stop everything to help a little old lady across the street. He will always assume that everyone is waiting with bated breath for his decisive leadership and will make grand announcements as to what should be done. He is young, naive, and believes appearances are everything, although he's not self aware enough to understand that's what he actually thinks.
                      -Mad

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
                      ~Bertrand Russell

Comment

Not had much time to look but I'm looking at rogue, bard or wizard right now.

i still have to re-read how everything works, been a long time since we played this

Comment

Looks like right now we have a Healer, Tank and a ranged DPS (unless I change my mind or somebody else wants to be Ranged DPS). Which in my opinion basically covers everything we absolutely MUST have. I was looking over Wizards today, they are much better than in the past IMHO. They are a little more like sorcerers.
                          --Daemoro

Comment

Wizards can be pretty powerful with the right spell at the right time, especially at low levels (though they're no less valuable at high level). Over the past week I've been listening to a podcast where the wizard single-handedly annihilated the majority of the enemies in multiple encounters. Of course, it required that the baddies be bunched up, but even so, it made me want to play the class for the sheer destructive power! Then I decided that relying on the spell book would annoy me. :P

I was pretty happy with the cleric build and backstory (although I'll flesh it out a bit more) I made for Rando's Phandelver run a while back. I think I'll just do a re-make of that guy. A happy-go-lucky soldier-turned-cleric of Pelor (or Bahamut, optionally) who doesn't shy from the front lines and strategically plies his spells to keep his companions in good working order.

Comment

I'm still going with a ranged character as stated in PMs and discussion last week, just have to decide between caster or archer.

Comment

Hey Grapper, the first post states the following:

Creating Potions
                                Characters skilled in the use of an alchemist kit can craft their own potions. The cost to create them is half the normal purchase price and requires 1 day of work per tier. Some potions may also require special ingredients, which must be supplied in addition to the base cost.

I was wondering if you meant herbalism kit rather than alchemist kit. There isn't an "alchemist kit" listed in the PHB, and the herbalist kit states "proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin and potions of healing." Then again, while there isn't an alchemists kit, there are "alchemists supplies" which could be required for making potions as well...

GM ruling? I must know for academic purposes! :D

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 855 at 07:22 AM on 05-12-2017.

Working...
                                X